Got a case of the Monday blues? Then you need something to smooth things over. How about grabbing a MUFFIN? Even better, make it a Doughnut Muffin. And even more exciting, make sure it’s a DOUGHNUT MUFFIN filled with BANANA and MANGO flavors .
This week’s featured muffin for the MUFFIN MONDAY Bakers was the Doughnut Muffin. I couldn’t resist adding an Asian-style, tropical, summery twist to it by adding bananas and mangoes. The result was light, sweet, delightful and irresistable. And once out of the oven, the tantalizing aroma of bananas just swirled all around the house. I used my jumbo muffin pans, so I got some big, gigantic muffins filled with all that mango-banana goodness. Mondays never felt this good.
So be happy it’s Monday ! Just think, it’s 4 more days till Friday !
MANGO-BANANA DOUGHNUT MUFFINS
(Adapted from tasteofhome.com)
Makes 6 Jumbo Muffins
1 and 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon banana flavoring
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
6 teaspoons mango jam
Topping : 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon chopped peanuts, 1 Tablespoon flour, 1 Tablespoon melted butter
granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or use muffin liners to line a 6-hole jumbo muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk. Add banana flavoring. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill cups half full; place 1 teaspoon jam on top. Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full.
- Mix topping ingredients together in a small bowl and top each muffin equally.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When muffins have cooled, sprinkle granulated sugar all over the top.
COOK’S COMMENTS : Another way to put doughnut-like fillings in muffins is to use a pastry bag that has a #1 cake decorating tip. Fill the bag with the right amount of jam or desired filling and once the muffin is baked, inject from the top.
MUFFIN MONDAY: A Message from Baker Street’s Anuradha of www.bakerstreet.tv/
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week. Find An and the rest of the Muffin Monday Bakers on http://www.bakerstreet.tv/