Here’s a delightfully hearty meatless meal-in-a soup! A simmering seafood chowder consisting of shrimps, chunks of salmon fillet, corn kernels, potato cubes, red pepper bits in a rich, shrimp-flavored creamy broth.
Just in time for Lenten Fridays came this recipe in my email box from my friends at “Sweet Maria”, a bistro-like coffee shop back in the Philippines. “Sweet Maria” just opened its doors to patrons and families at the Loyola Grand Villas in the La Vista, Quezon city area. During my Manila visit last month, I was invited by my cousin, Mila Besa-Arnaldo to sample their delicious menu offerings.
I enjoyed everything the charming crew put infront of me, from soup to dessert. They have a varied and interesting menu and I especially enjoyed the seafood chowder.
So here it is….a basic recipe by Chef Maui at Sweet Maria. But I tweaked their recipe a tad bit and added the seafood I had available back here in my USA kitchen. I also thickened my soup broth with some canned cream of shrimp and added interesting bits of corn and potato cubes. This was perfect for our family’s Friday Lenten no-meat meal !
*Adapted from a basic recipe by Sweet Maria
2 cans of 7-UP (for pre-boiling the seafood)
1 Tablespoon melted butter
1 whole onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chopped celery
1 whole red pepper, chopped
1 cup shrimps, peeled, deveined, pre-boiled
½ pound salmon fillet, pre-boiled *
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup cubed potatoes
1 cup canned corn
½ cup carrot strips
1 can cream of shrimp
1 cup milk
3 cups broth *
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley, for garnish
- Pre-boil the shrimps and salmon fillet separately in a little water and a cup each of 7-Up. Squeeze some lemon juice on the seafood during cooking. When cooked, slice the salmon in large chunks and set aside while you prepare the chowder.
- In a medium sized stockpot, over medium high heat, add the butter to melt.
- Add the onions, garlic and celery. Once soft, add the cubed potatoes and red peppers. Stir to blend.
- Add the canned cream of shrimp and broth. Then add the pre-cooked seafood, carrots and canned corn.
- After the potatoes are cooked and soft, add the milk to the soup mix.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley flakes. Serve hot.
RECIPE NOTES: The original recipe from Sweet Maria includes squid. Feel free to add squid or any other seafood preferred to this chowder.
COOK’S COMMENTS: To avoid curdling, I add the milk at the end when all the ingredients are cooked. It’s a good idea to bring down the heat after the soup broth has boiled, then add the milk last and simmer over low for a few quick minutes.
*Use any type of broth that is available or convenient.
My Sweet Discovery In Manila !
“Sweet Maria” coffee shop is located within the commercial complex of Loyola Grand Villas subdivision in La Vista, Quezon City. They offer a varied menu for breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner. Some menu offerings are : Seafood chowder, pasta alfredo, seafood pesto pizza, Chef Maui burger, beef salpicao and a wide array of sweets and pastries.Shoredreams