“Relyenong pimiento”is what we call ‘ Stuffed Bell Peppers’ with ground beef and is my go-to dish when I need a family entree that’s quick, hearty, and an all-in-one, ‘don’t have to think about it’ meal.
This is a classic family favorite and is universally loved by almost everyone. When the weather gets warmer, the bell peppers get more affordable. And even better, when I find different colors of peppers, then I have fun with them and enjoy serving a rainbow on the table.
I first pre-cooked the ground beef, together with potatoes, onions, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Then like most Filipino dishes, I made it sweet by adding raisins to the mix. After the beef seared in the pan and cooked with the rest of the ingredients, it was ready to go in the peppers.
I added the toppings of egg, bread crumbs and grated cheese. Baked and waited for a few minutes. Then my hunger pangs immediately recognized the hefty aroma of beef mixed with cheese coming from the oven.I served these warm with a platter of steamed white rice. And sat back and enjoyed the raves all around the table !
STUFFED PEPPERS with GROUND BEEF
4 large peppers, in different colors : green, orange, yellow, red – sliced in half, seeded
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 whole onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tomato, chopped
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed
½ pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small can tomato sauce (about 6 ounces)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ cup raisins
1 whole egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs
Grated parmesan cheese, for sprinkling on top
Steamed jasmine white rice, for serving
- Slice the peppers in half, vertically. Remove the seeds and white membrane inside. Wash the peppers and put aside while you pre-cook the beef filling.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Saute the onion, garlic, tomatoes.
- Add the ground beef and potatoes. Then add the Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes till the beef is cooked and the tomato sauce slightly gets absorbed by the beef. Add the raisins and mix well.
- Stuff the ground beef into each vegetable cavity, with about ¼ to 1/3 cup each, depending on the size of the pepper.
- On each filled pepper, top with the following: egg, bread crumbs and cheese.
- Arrange the stuffed peppers in a pre-greased baking pan. Bake at 350 F degrees for 15 minutes, till the cheese melts. Serve warm with steamed jasmine white rice.